Information for applicants – Roles providing service to clients under NDIS

(All roles in Primary Health and District Nursing)

Safety Screening


GSHS has a commitment to employing people who are able to provide quality services and a safe environment for our vulnerable clients, as well as uphold our Values.  Pre-employment safety screening is a mandatory aspect of our recruitment processes and maximises the likelihood of recruiting the right person with the right skills and attitude to the role.


Pre-employment safety screening should not be used as a means of precluding people with an adverse history from employment.  The process does not eliminate the risk of employing unsuitable people – it is designed to minimise that risk on the basis of available and relevant information.


Please read the NDIS Worker Screening Factsheet for Workers


1.      Disability Worker Exclusion Scheme

The Disability Worker Exclusion Scheme (DWES) collects, stores and uses information about people who have been found to be unsuitable to work with clients in disability.  People who are on the Disability Worker Exclusion List (DWEL) will not be employed in disability services.


It is compulsory for GSHS to check that applicants are not on the DWEL.  A person whose name is on the DWEL is not permitted to work in disability services.


What you must do

If you are invited to an interview, you must complete pre-employment safety screening forms and bring them with you to the interview. Download and complete the Disability Worker Exclusion Scheme Consent and Acknowledgement Form and bring this to your interview, together with the required identity documents.

3.      National criminal history records (police) check

If you are invited to an interview, please bring a current (less than 12 months old) National Criminal History Records (police) Check.

5.      International Police Check

Applicants who have lived overseas for 12 months or longer in one country in the last 10 years are required to provide an international police check.  Applicants can obtain this from the relevant overseas police agency – see the Character and police certificate requirements page of the Department of Home Affairs website and select the relevant country.  Alternatively, applicants can obtain a check through an organisation which provides international police checks – search the internet for ‘international police checks’.


In some countries, international police checks are only available to citizens or to residents.  Where this applies, it will be indicated in the country information on the Department of Home Affairs website.  If a category such as foreign national or non-resident, is not listed in the country information, it generally means a certificate cannot be obtained.

4.      Identity requirements

Documentation provided must include evidence of the applicant’s full name and date of birth and also a photograph and must meet the criteria below:


One commencement of identity document

  • Full Australian birth certificate (not an extract of birth)

  • Current Australian passport (not expired). Australian Visa current at time of entry to Australia as resident or tourist (a Visa Entitlement Verification online (VEVO) record may be provided).  If you are a New Zealand Citizen on a Special Category Visa, you can request your VEVO details from the Department of Home Affairs via their website.

  • ImmiCard issued by the Department of Home Affairs (previously the Department of Immigration and Border Protection) that enables the cardholder to prove their visa and/or migration status and enrol in services.

  • Certificate of Identity issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) to refugees and non-Australian Citizens for entry to Australia.

  • Certificate of evidence of resident status

  • Australian Citizen Certificate


One primary use in the community document

  • Current Australian Driver’s Licence, learner permit or provisional licence issued by a state or territory, showing signature and/or photo and the same name as claimed.

  • Australian marriage certificate issued by a state or territory (church or celebrant issued certificates are not accepted)

  • Current passport issued by a country other than Australia with a valid entry stamp or visa

  • Current proof of age or photo identity card issued by an Australian government agency in your name with photo and signature

  • Current shooter or firearm licence showing signature and photo (not minor or junior permit or licence)

  • For persons aged under 18 with no other Primary Use in the Community Documents, a current student identification card with photo or signature.


Two secondary use in the community documents

  • Certificate of Identity issued by DFAT

  • Document of identity issued by DFAT

  • Convention travel document secondary (United Nations) issued by DFAT

  • Foreign government issued documents (for example driver’s licence)

  • Medicare card

  • Enrolment with the Australian Electoral Commission

  • Security guard or crowd control photo licence

  • Evidence of right to a government benefit (Centrelink or Veterans Affairs)

  • Consular photo identity card issued by DFAT

  • Photo identity card issued to an officer by a police force

  • Photo identity card issued by the Australian Defence Force

  • Photo identity card issued by the Australian Government or a state or territory government (this may take the form of a Working with Children Check or Vulnerable People card or a government issued occupational licence)

  • Aviation Security Identification Card

  • Maritime Security Identification card

  • Credit reference check

  • Australian territory or secondary student photo identity document

  • Certified academic transcript from an Australian University

  • Trusted referees report

  • Bank card, credit card or bank statement (without recording the payment card number/s)

  • State/territory government rates assessment notice or Australian Taxation office assessment notice

  • Australian utility bill showing name and address

  • Australian private health insurance card

  • Australian trade association card


What you must do

If you are invited to an interview, all pre-employment safety screening must be completed. You must bring one ‘Primary Use in the Community document’; one ‘Secondary Use in the Community document’ and two ‘secondary use in the community documents’ to the interview.


These documents will be copied.  If your application is not successful, any documentation collected will be securely destroyed in line with the Public Records Act 1973 (Vic.) and the Data and Privacy Protection Act 2014 (Vic.).

6       Working with Children Check

A working with children check is required for all roles providing services to clients under the NDIS.  The WWCC card must ensure that it is for employment and not volunteer purposes.


For more information, see the WWCC website -


Applicants must apply for this check prior to receiving a formal employment offer.


What you must do

If you have a current Working with Children Check (less than 5 years old), bring this along to the interview. Applicants must apply for this check prior to receiving a formal employment offer.  Follow these steps:

  • Go to the ‘Apply in Victoria’ page of the WWCC website

  • Complete the application form

  • Obtain a passport sized photo of yourself

  • Gather necessary proof of identity documents

  • Lodge your application at a participating Australia Post retail outlet, provide the photo and proof of your identity and pay the non-refundable fee

  • If you are a successful applicant, you will need to provide a copy of your WWCC receipt or a copy of your WWCC card with your new starter documentation.  You will also need to update your employer address.


7.      Safety Screening & Lived Overseas Statutory Declaration

You are required to complete the Safety Screening & Lived Overseas Statutory Declaration, have it witnessed by an authorised person and bring it along to the interview with you.  By signing the statutory declaration, you are stating that you have disclosed all relevant information regarding your criminal and employment history.

If you are offered employment

If you are successful in your application to work at Gippsland Southern Health Service, providing services to clients under the NDIS, you must read the Code of Conduct for Disability Service Workers and complete the Disability Service Workers Employee Code of Conduct Declaration.


Checklist for interview

You must bring along to the interview:




Private Bag 13, Leongatha  Vic  3953

Tel:  03 5667 5555

66 Koonwarra Road, Leongatha

Tel:  03 5667 5555

65 Bridge Street, Korumburra

Tel:  03 5654 2777

Patients, Clients & Families

Gippsland Southern Health Service acknowledges Aboriginal people as the traditional custodians of the land on which we operate. We commit to working respectfully to honour their ongoing cultural and spiritual connections to this country

© 2020 Gippsland Southern Health Service